For people who prefer not to pop pills, these natural remedies for anxiety are effective and gentle. Enjoy the healing scents of these essential oils and relax again.
A combination of massage with aromatherapy oils is the ideal way to relax and let go of all the tension and stress. However, if that is not possible, there are other creative ways of using the healing fragrances of essential oils as natural stress remedies.
- Burn essential oils in an aromatherapy diffuser
- Add a few drops of essential oil to a warm bath before bedtime
- Sprinkle a couple of drops of essential oil on the pillow
- Make a room spray that can be used throughout the day
- Use a few drops of essential oil on a handkerchief that can be sniffed during the day
Research on Aromatherapy Oils
A lot of research has been done on aromatherapy oils that work best as natural remedies for anxiety. It is widely understood that the fragrance of the oils affects the mind and body. It is also understood that there are many factors involved and sometimes one essential oil will be right for that day and other time it won’t. Sometimes anxiety and indigestion go together and at other times it might be anxiety and a headache.
One day lavender essential oil will smell just right and another day it will be lemon oil. Experiment with what works best at any one time, depending on how the symptoms are manifesting.
5 Essential Oils to Treat Anxiety
- Lavender essential oil is a comforting and relaxing aromatherapy oil that will help with anxiety and insomnia. Add 5 drops to a warm bath. Stir the water, step in and relax. Lavender oil is safe to use with children and will calm and relax them after a difficult day at school. Sprinkle on a hanky and tuck it into their pillow.
- 3 drops of Lemon essential oil blended with 1 tablespoon of sweet almond oil as a base, will make a perfect massage oil. Massage gently into the soles of the feet to uplift and restore the spirit. The clear fragrance of lemon oil is also beneficial in stimulating the immune system which is often depleted by ongoing stress and anxiety. Do not use lemon oil directly on the skin as it can be an irritant. Lemon essential oil is photo-toxic and should not be used on skin that is exposed to sunlight or ultraviolet light.
- Bergamot essential oil in an aromatherapy diffuser will help to calm anxiety and those negative thoughts. It can also help with tiredness that is related to dealing with stress. 5 drops of bergamot oil in a warm bath is uplifting. Make a cup of chamomile herbal tea to sip while you soak.
- Geranium essential oil blended with lemon oil – just 3 drops of each in half a pint of water will make a wonderful spray to lift the energy in your home. The combination will create a refreshing fragrance that cannot fail to relieve anxiety.
- Sandalwood is more often used as incense but can also be bought as an essential oil. Use sandalwood essential oil in a diffuser to calm anxiety. A couple of drops on a handkerchief or even dabbed on the wrist, makes a good natural remedy to relieve anxiety during the day.
Pregnant women should check with an aromatherapist before using essential oils.
About the author: Erica R. Gibson is a tech writer at the service where everyone can ask to write my essay for me. She is highly interested in keeping up with advancing technologies. In this case, she spends her spare time reading various blogs to obtain new knowledge and improve her professional skills.