A brand new year is like a brand new beginning; you turn the page on the past year and look forward to making the new year the best one yet. In the upcoming new year, you might make a resolution to maintain or improve your overall wellness. Wellness and health can take form in many ways, and it’s not always just about eating right and exercising. Below are four different ways that you can maximize your wellness for 2021.
With a new year comes time to create a new routine to take care of your visible wellbeing. While many have a set skincare and haircare routine, the beginning of a new year is a great time to reevaluate your current products and regimen.
One way to keep your physical self happy is to care for your skin, especially in this winter weather. Prioritize the use of skincare products, such as a moisturizer and chapstick, which can help alleviate cracked and dry skin. Also, consider using a room humidifier to help keep moisture in the air; this will help keep your skin looking bright and hydrated.
Another way to treat your outer self right is to pamper yourself. During a global pandemic, it can be easy to wear comfy pajamas, have massive bedhead for your Zoom meetings, and not take pride in your appearance. An easy way to get out of this “funk” is to do something to make yourself feel special. For example, try sleeping in one day (or take a nap) or indulge without feeling guilty by eating dessert first! Whatever you choose to do to pamper yourself, remember it is a reward for everything you’ve done and everything you are going to be doing, so make it something you love!
For the new year, try to focus on financial health! This comes in many different forms, but the overall concept is simple: it is a reflection of how financially secure you are. One way to secure financial wellness is to make a household budget and stick to it as best as you can. Creating a budget can help identify where your money is going, how much money you need to have to live the lifestyle you want, and how to adjust to meet your financial goals.
Another way to stay financially fit is to plan for the unexpected. While not the best thing to think about, it is important to consider how your family or dependents will be taken care of in the event of your death. To make sure that this is possible, consider choosing a life insurance policy. This is a policy that the holder pays a premium for, and in return, the insurer pays an amount of money to an elected beneficiary, tax-free. This beneficiary could be a spouse, child, relative, or other loved one you choose. By making sure that those that depend on you most are financially secure, you secure your entire family’s financial future.
A common phrase of the new year is “New Year, New Me”, but what does that really mean? Too often this usually means a gym membership, but it should encompass more than that. Taking control of your health should be a top priority in the new year, and you can do so without having to spend a bunch of money. Below are just a few self-care tips to maximize your health:
- Move for at least 30 minutes a day: at least 30 minutes of exercise can boost your mood and get your blood pumping.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate: Drinking water throughout your day can not only maximize your physical performance but your brain function as well.
- Enjoy breakfast: eating breakfast with carbs and protein will keep you motivated throughout the day.
- Go for the fruit: as tempting as a donut or coffee cake might be, opt for fruit instead- your body will thank you for it as it won’t be suffering from a sugar crash.
Remember that the importance here is to be making small and smart choices throughout the day. It is completely fine to indulge in that piece of cake or extra plate at dinner, as long as you keep everything in moderation. Being conscious of what fuel you give your body will only help it to help you succeed in your physical goals.
Now more than ever, it is important to keep yourself mentally and emotionally healthy and happy. With the current pandemic, it can be easy to fall into a rut of monotony, which can take a toll on your overall health and wellness. To make sure that you are taking care of your mental wellbeing, consider following the below suggestions:
- Keep in touch: even if only virtually or via phone call, talking to someone important in your life can help boost your mood and attitude.
- Write it out: writing your thoughts and feelings down on paper can help create mental clarity and the ability to process what you’re feeling.
- Practice forgiveness: holding a grudge does nothing for your overall mental and emotional wellbeing.
- Send a thank-you note: written expressions of gratitude are linked to increased happiness.
- Prepare your week: By preparing your lunches and work clothes for the week, you can gain a sense of control over your day and week.
Overall wellness is something that can be achieved and maintained throughout the year. By being proactive in January, you will set yourself up for success through December 2021 in a number of healthy ways.